Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Brownie Points

I frequently give out "brownie points" to my technicians (and sometimes my fellow doctors) at work. These aren't anything that I keep track of, much less remember from day to day who I've even given them too.

Sometimes it comes in the form of, "brownie points to whoever can tell me where I left this chart", or "brownie points if you come up with a good treatment plan for this patient".

Other times I give them out more as recognition that someone took the initiative to do something less than pleasant. Someone was going to have to do it anyways, but it's nice when someone does it cheerfully and quickly. For example, "you gave him a bath after he danced in diarrhea?!?! glad it wasn't me, you get brownie points!!"

Yesterday I made a big batch of oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, and today I brought them into work to share. I told everyone that if they needed an excuse to eat cookies (as many of us generally do), they could tell themselves that they were redeeming their brownie points!

Maybe next time I'll make real brownies - I even have a recipe bookmarked for one that includes ingredients I have in the house!

No comments: